Projects: Blue Generation
Blue Generation Project
The aim of BoLL with Blue Generation Project is to engage young people and convert them to pursue a sustainable career in Blue Economy in Turkey.
The Blue Generation project aims to organize info days about blue career prospects and offers mentoring programs from Turkey’s highly experienced sailors and shipyard owners for those among the young who wish to pursue a career in Blue Economy and mobility exchanges through study visits for gaining first-hand experience in coastal tourism, energy, marine biotechnology, shipbuilding, maritime transportation, and fisheries.
To succeed in this, the Blue Generation Project brings together experts from the Blue Economy and Youth organizations /groups who are passionate about maritime to share knowledge about skills needs, career paths, open job positions and existing training.
The project lasts 2018 to 2022. In the first year the Blue Career Job Platform will be developed, offering free of charge information on blue job positions as well as training opportunities across EU countries. After the BoLL establishment many resources occurred and came together to support the project. While BoLL preparing itself to become a Turkey’s representative of a project, BoLL already started working hard to merge BoLL’s existing Maritime networks and young people in the Muğla city.
The European Blue Economy, currently representing around 5.4 million jobs, is set to double its employment by 2030. Its problem is that young people are not being attracted to maritime careers, while businesses cannot find the required workforce, skills and profiles .
At the same time Turkey’s rate of unemployment is 13,4% and it means 4 million 227 thousand of people are not in labor. In addition, the youth unemployment rate was 25.9%in July 2020. Generation Project is set to fill this gap by re-introducing Blue Economy carreers as an attractive, modern and prosperous professional pathway and way out of unemployment for the young.
We look into the following results
- Improved employment situation for young people
- Increased participation in education and training of Martime Industry
- Provision of innovative approaches on lowering youth unemployment
The Blue Generation Project main activities
- Organizing info-days and activities in high schools, student of Maritime faculties of Universities to promote Blue Career opportunities.
- Training youth to increase awareness in the Blue Economy career opportunities and prospect mentors through online courses and mentoring days.
- Guiding young people through skills validation, personal mentoring and short exchanges to suitable employment and training in Blue Economy job sectors.